Hardly a week goes by that moments after I remove a small lesion from someone’s face, they exclaim, “If I had known how quick and painless it would be, I would have done it years ago!”
Many of these simple cosmetic procedures can be completed at the first Clinic visit, furthermore a GP referral is not required for cosmetic consultations.
The list of different lesions is long, and the correct treatment has to be matched to the lesion, hence it is best to be seen by board certified Dermatologist. Accurate diagnosis is important, as is exclusion of a more serious medical problem such as an early skin cancer. A dermascope, a hand held microscope combined with the experienced, trained eye of a Dermatologist is ideal for diagnosis.
Here are a few of the more common lesions I can usually deal with in one or two visits:
- Small tags or bumps on the eyelids, usually small warts, dermascope confirmed, then cauterized under local anesthetic.
- Brown warty bumps,that appear “glued” on to skin: Sebborrhoeic Keratoses, usually respond well to liquid nitrogen cryotherapy. Seen on face, and trunk, very common.
- Benign Moles: skin colored bumps, sometimes sprouting hair, change little, if at all. Depending on size and location these can be shaved off with a blade under local, or formally excised and sutured under local. In dermatology we have little known techniques to remove these moles leaving a minimal scar, and if there is a scar, we have lasers and other techniques to improve the scar.
- Sebaceous Hyperplasia: small yellowish bumps, often with a central dell, dermascope confirmed,then cauterized.
- Skin Tags: common on neck, underarms, even groin. Very small lesions best cauterized, larger snipped off under local, then cauterized to stop bleeding and discourage recurrence.
Needless to say there are many, many other nuisance lesions that can easily be removed. Once in a while however the dermascope reveals an early skin cancer, not apparent to the naked eye and that is why it is important to see a qualified Dermatologist for accurate assessment and treatment of small lumps and bumps on your skin.
Dr. Julian A Hancock (www.fairfieldskinclinic.com)
Call Dr. Julian A Hancock At (250) 729 2665
For a complimentary consultation and skin evaluation.Contact Us